Yesterday I bought a $40 ear thermometer because I am tired of having to pin Zoey down on the couch for five minutes straight every time I have to check her temperature. Would anyone care to guess how many times this week I've tried to keep a squirmy little kid still while balancing a thermometer under her armpit? Too many.
Today we will be visiting the pediatrician yet again because I am fairly certain Zoey has strep throat. That's right. For those of you closely following the progression of Project: Build Zoey's Immunity, that makes for illness number four in just as many weeks. I am feeling horrible myself for several reasons, including:
a) I am pretty sure she's had this at least since Sunday or Monday, the days of puking and low-grade fever, and I just didn't pick up on it
b) I am likely coming down with the cold that was circulating in our house a week or two ago
c) I am tired of contributing such large portions of my paycheck to Walgreens Drugstore, my pediatrician's office, and our fabulous babysitter who has to come sit with Zoey all day while I work, to the tune of $9 an hour, because she can not go to daycare because....(here comes my rant)
d) I am fairly certain I am one of very few responsible parents out there who actually KEEPS HER CHILD AT HOME WHEN SHE IS SICK. I mean, seriously, people--when your kid has a fever, or a funky rash, or blisters in his or her mouth, would you please fucking keep them at home so that my child could actually have a healthy week during the month of February? Please? A cold or a runny nose, sure, send 'em on in...that's been the LEAST of my worries lately. But anything more virulent than that? I think we've established that nobody at Sonshine Christian Daycare is going to pick up on them not feeling well, so please DO YOUR JOB and keep them home.
In case it isn't painfully obvious from reading the above, I am this close to pulling Zoey out of preschool for what little time we have left down here in Vancouver. Yesterday I found out from another mom (one of my few co-members of the Responsible Parent Club) that the teachers at the daycare only wipe down the toys in each classroom once a week, since that is all the state requires of them. I'm sorry, and feel free to add a comment and point out if I am sounding like "that parent" for saying this, but is it SO much to ask that they wipe them down a little more often? Especially during cold and flu season? I mean, we all know that daycares are festering breeding grounds for germs and nastiness anyway, so why not try a little extra hard to keep from passing around anything stronger than your average runny nose?
If this is a matter of sending in extra Clorox wipes, I'm sure you all can guess who would be willing to contribute to that fund.
1 comment:
Oh Amy, if it makes you feel any better my kids don't even go to daycare and I feel as though they are always sick. The one hour a week one goes to the gym must do it. They have been passing a cold back and forth for 3 weeks now. Get well soon Zozo.
Post a Comment